Monday, April 7, 2008

Blue Is The Colour Of Love...

If it hadn't been Bbbb's birthday then Joey probably wouldn't have visited us that weekend at all, and none of this would have ever happened...

Joey was Dano's best friend from her old school- and even though we didn't have a lot in common we still managed to hit it off right from the start. It was Joey's idea to get dressed up in our black t-shirts and Dish-rag skirts and boots and ride the bus into Town that Sunday evening, which was uncommonly quiet even though it was the Queen's Birthday long weekend. The Angels were playing at the Palais, but we didn't have enough money for the tickets and, anyway, we knew that the chances of getting in past those unknown bouncers were slim to none.

As we walked along the Main Drag through the Mall the talk turned to yesterday's adventures; I'd been at my part-time job all day so I hadn't collected Joey from the train with the others. The story went that after she arrived they went to McDonalds for McFeasts and chocolate sundaes, and just as they were leaving they noticed a group of guys leaning against their hotted up Torana's in the car park. One of them was wearing a Skid Row shirt, and the girls all decided that he's the cutest one of the group, even though he was also, by far, the puniest.

That's how the story was going, anyway...

But just then, someone near the bank yells out "Motley Crue"- and I, wearing one or other of my Crue shirts, yell back in their general direction; What? My three friends tell me that it's the same guys from yesterday, the ones we were just talking about. The skinny guy's still wearing the same shirt; they are even still leaning against their cars- so we go down and introduce ourselves to them.

Dano and Joey put on fake American accents and pretend to be exchange students- and they're doing reasonably well until one of the guys ask them to say Aluminium, which Joey fucks up, giving the game away. They ask if we went to see Motley Crue and we tell them that we did, Dano even pointing out that I was the Famous girl who flashed her blue knickers for the crowd. They All remember it. Yobbo and Stevo immediately start to call me Blue- because the experience obviously still embarrasses me.

Under some pretence of safety we split up into pairs and go along with them in their cars to buy Dano and Joey a cheap bottle of wine to share- and along the way we learn more about these guys who soon became our buddies...

Aside from Stevo and Yobbo there's also Numbnuts, Sargo and Russ; and Danny, Doc and Mong filled up the other car. Over the next few months we all become inseperable- Bbbb and Mong became an item and Danny and I had a failed relationship that lasted only two weeks before I drunkenly cheated on him by kissing skinny Russ, much to everyone's, even my own, disgust; but fuck we had some funny times eating spaghetti sticks in the kitchen together.

I remember one night, when we had known the guys for about three months, that we all went to a party- and even though we had been invited none of us really felt welcomed by the other girls who were already there at the house. I guess it had something to do with the fact that while we had 'bought' our own males to the party they were really only ever our mates- and me and Dano were more interested in the talent they had in their little circle than they were interested in ours.

Too bad for them.

I was standing half-way up the stairs, telling some idiot named Empty why Stevo had just called me Blue- when a beautiful drawling voice from above told me that Blue was the Colour of Love.

And that was the first thing that my Hubby ever said to me...

No comments: