Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Story Of My Life...

I suppose I should explain...

The first Friday night came around. Miss Fancy Pants rang and told Me she was finishing work at four and would be around to pick me up so that we could go for Last Drinks before she left for Thailand in the morning. Then hubby rang; asking me if I could take his lunch bag down to him because he was working on Saturday. I told him I'd drop it over to Twink's by about five.

I got ready. Then waited. And waited. At a quarter to six hubby rang to see where his bag was. He was a bit shitty with me. I told him I was still waiting on MFP to give me a lift. Frankly; it was pissing me off. I'm Never late. In fact I'm always early. If she had told me she wasn't going to be able to get away from work until a quarter to seven I would have made my own way there. Still; I know she wasn't keen to walk into the Pub on her own- knowing that her Ex, Fido, would be there, too.

So we got there about seven. Finally. I put hubby's bag behind the bar and me and MFP went outside for a cigarette and sat with Hairy and 'Ranga and a few of the other regulars. After a while we had quite a crowd; and then Twink and hubby joined us as well. Twink lined me up to collect the kegs for his party the next night. Me and hubby didn't speak. When I looked around a few hours later he had disappeared. Twink told me he had left ages ago.

By now we were all pretty drunk; I'd given the chemicals a miss for a change. Twink tells Jen Jen and I that he can give us a lift back to his house but we refuse; he's way too drunk to be getting behind the wheel. He's parked his car a few hundred metres from the Pub and when we walk past it he goes to get in but had left the accessories on and the battery was dead. Jen Jen and I sat on the corner and laughed at him as he got out; admitting defeat and leaving his keys in the ignition (which would have saved him a lot of time in the morning if he had Remembered). Then he stumbled down the corner and sat with us in the road.

After a bit we decide to Do The Walk. It's only a kilometer or so to his house but it's hard work through the Park when you're pissed. Twink was sitting in the gutter. I took one hand and Jen Jen took the other and we heaved his 110 kilogram bulk to his feet. Unfortunately he overbalanced and came crashing down on top of Me. I was the meat between him and the concrete. It knocked the wind out of me completely and I lay in the road for a good ten minutes before I could even stand up. Twink thought it was hilarious.

Twink: You wouldn't have gotten so hurt if you had bigger tits!

Never mind that I'd just broken the Fat Prick's fall!

Anyway; it was painful. I've had rib injuries before and know that when the alcohol wears off you're in for weeks of pain and healing. (And I am).

We made it back to Twink's. Lorne and Rocket were already there. Mac and hubby were upstairs sleeping. I felt awkward and wanted to leave. Lorne started in on Jen Jen (he was off his head but that's No excuse for the names he called her) and she was so upset we walked out. We got a Taxi back to her house and went to bed.

When I woke I was in agony from where Twink had fallen on me. When I lifted my arm gingerly above my head I could even see where the cartilage damage was. It hurt to breath, cough and sneeze; but still- today was Twink's Fortieth Party and I had a job to do in getting the kegs. I rang Fido (he lives around the corner from Jen Jen) and he picked me up to go get my car.

At twelve I picked Twink up from the cricket and took him back to the Pub to get the kegs. He was joking the whole time that I should be the one to carry them because it was His party and I was Keg Wench. Normally. Normally I Would carry a keg. But not with the pain I was in.

Me: (laughing) Carry it yourself You Fat Prick.

At around four we tapped the keg and Fido Twink and I all drank from the Cup of Triumph...

Then I went to pick up Jen Jen. She was down at the pub where she works as a barmaid having a few drinks with some of the girls she works with. Her boss and his wife were buying us all drinks. I had a great conversation with both of them; the wife is an Editor of a magazine and told Me to start sending out Stuff again if I ever wanted to get published. I stayed with them a few hours and then left to go back to Twink's party.

By then C, my friend from work who is dating Twink, arrived. And hubby was there. He seemed surprised to learn that I'd been helping Twink and Fido with the kegs all afternoon. He made a comment that I'd worn my hair down (I always wear it in a plait). I told him that I was wearing Thongs (the flip-flop kind not the underwear) too. He seemed amused.

CC (sober and heavily pregnant) and Norty were there by now. Then heaps of people turned up at once. Someone gave me drugs and the night became a blur. I remember talking to Foki and Shez about breaking up with hubby. CC and Shez told me to do whatever I had to do to be happy.

Soon it was five in the morning and the Sun was coming up. C took Twink, hubby, Shez and Foki with her in her car back to Twink's for the night. I followed in a Taxi with someone I'll only name as The Landscaper. I've known him for years and though I've never felt an attraction to him before I suddenly found myself sharing a random pash in the backseat. Just as quickly it was over; and unspoken about until This day...

It won't come out either; especially now as Hubby and I are back together.

You see; when I got back to Twink's hubby was already asleep in the spare room. When I felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open for a second longer I lay down on the couch upstairs. Shez came over and sat with me.

Shez: He's in There waiting for you to forgive him. He's in there waiting for you to come back to him.

So I went.

And He was.

We got back together that night but he didn't come home straight away. On the Sunday morning after we had fucked our Sorry's out he took Little Son and Chopper over to his Mother's for a swim; just as he'd said. We decided that he would stay at Twink's for a few more nights so that we could still think about what we each wanted to happen. For time to Just Think about why we want to stay together.

He came home again on Wednesday. It had been ten days. I know that's not much; Long-term readers of this Blog know that the Years of contending with such a turbulent relationship can't be repaired or mended in only ten days.

But the point is that we still love each other enough to keep trying.

And for Now that will be Enough.

No comments: