Monday, May 19, 2008

Blood On The Woodchips...

I don't have time to blog tonight...I have to write a letter to the Council after the bastards cut down the Gum tree out the front of my house.

I got home from work today only to find it already chopped down to the stump; they hadn't given us any prior notice but after the job was done had stuffed a note into the letterbox; and I'm shitty as the tree was actually healthy; about twenty metres high but not near any powerlines or in danger of falling down. Well; theoretically it might've fallen on my house in a major electrical storm- but I was willing to take that risk.

It also had a family of Ringtail possums living in it (they're not as common around my area; unlike the bigger Brushtail possums) and a pair of Galahs that have nested in a tree hollow- breeding- for at least the last five years. I reckon the Possums wouldn't have survived (being noctural creatures they were probably asleep until the chainsaw cut into them); and the galahs were left stranded, sitting on the stump this afternoon- hopefully they didn't leave behind a clutch of eggs or babies this morning when they left(as it's still early in the breeding season).

Both are protected species- but not from the local council it seems. And that tree kept my house and car cool in the Summer- it's going to be so hot without it.

Bastards!

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Because judging from the mess they've left all over the road they probably went straight to the closest Council-owned park around here and scattered my tree around the swings and other playground equipment.

Let it be known- there's Blood on them those Woodchips...

No comments: