Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mrs Crankypants And The Sausage Factory...

The following letter should explain why I haven't posted in the last few days.

I just sent this letter- as an email.

Names have been changed to protect the Innocent...


Dear Mr Principal

I am writing to inform you of my decision to cease Little Son's Kindergarten enrolment at Da-Diddi-Da-Da Infants School.

It is with much regret that I undertake this decision- my Eldest Son was a student at the school and greatly benefited from the 'small school' experience that Da-Diddi-Da-Da Infants School has to offer it's pupils; and as a parent I have found the staff always to be friendly and approachable.

Unfortunately, due to personal concerns relating to Little Son's learning and social abilities, I find myself in the position of withdrawing his enrolmemt- effective 6/2/06- and have consequently enrolled him at Da-Diddi-Da-Da South PS.

While I understand the need for Little Son to respect school rules and that to carry out instructions given to him are for the benefit of his safety, I have concerns about the way in which Mrs Cranky Pants has reacted to my Son- on more than one occasion and in my presence.

On only his second day-and admittedly after the running away incident- she told him he 'wouldn't be welcome back to Kindergarten' until he could learn to do what he was told- in what I found was an abrupt and angry mannner. I found this quite discouraging to tell a child this who was already unsettled and somewhat unhappy to be in unfamiliar surroundings.

Two views that she later expressed to me were that 'school is a sausage factory' and that 'all children should be treated the same' do not fit in with my belief that children should be treated as individuals with individual needs- and in fact goes against all what I believed Da-Diddi-Da-Da Infants School stands proud for.

This was after a discussion with Mrs Cranky Pants, on Monday in which she related an incident that had occured on Friday where she physically had to make Little Son sit on the floor with the other children and he yelled at her to stop hurting him. Mrs Cranky Pants thought he said this for attention but it is my personal opinion that he would have felt threatened and intimidated and as such will not have a relationship with Mrs Cranky Pants that will be conducive to a good first year at school- essential when he can neither read or write, is left handed and, I suspect, mildly dyslexic like his Father and Aunt.

When I tried to inform Mrs Cranky Pants of my concerns I was met with "he just needs to learn to listen". It is my experience that belief systems are hard to change.

This is by no means meant as a personal attack on Mrs Cranky Pants, and I do not wish this letter to be taken as such. I do, however, believe that honesty is the best policy which is why I have detailed the reasons why I think Little Son will benefit from changing schools at this time. I wish her and all the staff at Da-Diddi-Da-Da Infants all the best.


Should you wish to discuss this with me (for any reason) in further detail I may be contacted on !@#$%^&&.

I thank you for your efforts with him and wish the School well for the future.

Sincerely

rn_buffoon

What do you think?

Will I get in trouble for this?

Do you think I did the right thing changing my Little Son's school- just four days in- for these reasons?

No comments: