Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mummy's Little Helper...

So it's ten forty eight in the morning and my Nest is officially empty...

Mummy's Little Helper started Big School today. He looked so small in his grey shorts and crisp blue shirt; and as I put his oversized socks on his little feet I tried not to think about how by the end of the year they'll be a size too small. But that's just wishing away another year of my Life; something I'm often known to do.

I'm a little worried about how he's going to handle school; he only turned five last week and there are some kids in his class who are nudging six. One boy, who I'll name Hercules for the purpose of this story, stood at least a whole foot taller than my little fellow. A few of the Year One boys gave him crap about being in Kindy- telling him how they're the Boss of the kindy kids.

Fuck I hate kids like them. The sort of kids who rip off the little kid's lunches, I'll bet. Derro's. I kept trying to get my Son to come away from them but he was too hyper to listen. The Teacher is sure going to have fun with him this year.

So he lined up with the other Kindy kids and looked around for me but I'd moved from where he'd last seen me to take a photo and we didn't make eye contact again; no wave goodbye for Me as they headed into the playground for morning exercise. And he didn't get to see where I'd hung up his school bag. And I still hadn't bought him a school hat either- having just found out that the Uniform Ladies weren't selling the this morning. How dumb is that? I'm sure I wasn't the only Mother who had waited to the last moment.

I was...

So in the end I went to three different stores trying to find a maroon canvas broad rimmed hat. Do you think I could find one? A 'bucket-style' hat was all I could manage; which has me pissed off at Myself for making my kid the obvious standout on his first day of school. Still- I dropped it up at the school; I was probably the Only new Kindy mum who returned this morning- but cos they have a 'no hat no play' policy I'd rather his hat be different than have him sit out all of lunch time when he is just busting to get to play on that equipment in the playground. I think it'll come as a shock when he eventually realises he's going to have to learn to read an write also!

Now I'm at home again- after my mercy Hat-Dash to the shops. It'll feel weird for the first few weeks until I realise my Little Helper's not there with me to do the shopping or tagging along behind me relentlessly asking questions while I hang out the laundry. I'm shedding a quiet couple just thinking about it...

In fact; it almost makes me want to have another...

Shut the Fuck Up!

Oh No You Don't!

No comments: