Thursday, February 21, 2008

I Know I Was Right...

>I was watching Oprah last night and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things Dr Phil is trying to say. The guest was Maria Shriver and she was talking about the death of her cousin JFK Jr.

It made me realise that in the blink of an eye-lid I, or one of the people I love, could just be gone; and the chance to tell them what they meant to me- with it. I really hope that I'm the first to go; though in reality that probably won't happen. I mean, people have died that I have known- like my third cousins and Grandpa Jack and Grandma Melbourne and Missus Green; and while they were sad the only person who has died that I've known And loved was Grandpa Ernie- and in a way that was a relief because he was sick and had disintegrated as a man and would have hated to be that way.

I have never lost anyone tragically in an accident, or at a young age, or someone who was perfectly healthy or who was particularly close. To think that there is every chance that I will lose one of my Sisters, or Mum or Dad, or my Hubby- is the most terrible thing. Even worse, though, would be the loss of my Son. Or one of the other kids; becasue you expect to be out-lived by the young.That is why it is not enough to just write these things down; but let the people that you love know that you do love them; appreciate them. I would hate to die not knowing myself. Sure; I know people love me. But what if things ended on a sour note; like me and my Hubby having an argument where we never make up and one of us died before we could make up? I think it's impossible that we Never fight; and by god I've been biting my tongue lately- resisting the urge to tell him that I was correct in regards to his work being too good to be true. See; I'm even gloating about it now.

I think it's because we expect praise and acknowledgment when we are right; it's a condition we learn as babies when we are toilet-trained or learn the alpabet. See; I Know I was right- and I'm dying to gloat about it- but I won't because if I did it won't accentuate my rightness- But my Hubby's wrongness and lack of fore-sight; and I shouldn't rub that in just because I am right. It's one thing getting the puzzles on Wheel Of Fortune correct and another to blatanly gloat when someone else makes a bad judgement.

That's something that my Mother does; continually brings up circumstances where my judgement was wrong. I've made bad decisions; picked the wrong conclusions; voiced the wrong opinions- and every time I Knew it and didn't need someone else to tell me that I was wrong.

It's hard enough knowing that you were wrong without having to hear it from someone else as well.

No comments: